Rabu, 03 Agustus 2011

Merging Oceans

so amazing


I thought this was the most unusual thing I saw on the Alaskan cruise in the water. These two bodies of water were merging in the middle of the Alaskan gulf and there was a foam developing only at their junction.
I thought this was an example of a Halocline described on Wikipedia. A few people have commented that a Halocline is more of a horizontal phenomenon and this is more vertically oriented.
I am pretty confident that what you are seeing is a result of the melting glaciers being composed of fresh water and the ocean has a higher percentage of salt causing the two bodies of water to have different densities and therefore makes it more difficult to mix. I’m told they will eventually mix given enough time.

0 komentar:

About Me

Foto Saya
Nur Annisa
Cimahi, Jawa Barat, Indonesia
Computer & Networking A '06 SMKN 1 Cimahi '08, D1 ITB STEI-TKJ '11               y!m : nuy.nurannisa                                    twitter : @nuynaynuy                                                            Let's join and share :)
Lihat profil lengkapku

Blog Archive

Popular Posts

Visit My Facebook

Follower

Diberdayakan oleh Blogger.